Recipe by DailyInspiration
A great sounding one-dish meal complete with great spices, chickpeas, raisins and couscous. Recipe is from my Low-Fat & Healthy One-Pot Meals booklet.
Top Review by loof
Great chicken dish! Loved all the rich spices and the hearty chickpeas. Next time I may add some cayenne to add some heat which we love with this type of dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 453.59 g chicken breast (boneless,skinless, cut into 6-7 large pieces)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 414.03 ml low-fat chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced (I prefer red)
- 473.18 ml fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans, well drained
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 1 large bay leaf
- 7.39 ml dried thyme leaves
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 236.59 ml couscous (uncooked)
- salt, to taste
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat Dutch oven or large, heavy pot with cooking spray. Cook chicken pieces over medium heat, turning frequently, until they begin to brown, With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken to medium bowl and set aside.
- To same pot, add onion, garlic, oil, and 2 tablespoons broth. Stir up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 5-6 minutes or until onion is tender. If liquid begins to evaporate, add more broth.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Add remaining broth, green pepper, tomato, garbanzos, raisins, bay leaf, thyme, cumin, allspice, cloves and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Add couscous and stir to mix well. Boil 2 minutes, covered. Remove pot from heat; stir up any couscous sticking to bottom. Allow mixture to stand 10-15 minutes, covered. Add salt to taste, if desired.
- Arrange couscous on serving platter and top with chicken and sauce. Garnish with parsley.