1/2 Photos of Middle-Eastern Chicken
1 hr 5 mins
Nancy's Pantry's Note:
A great sounding one-dish meal complete with great spices, chickpeas, raisins and couscous. Recipe is from my Low-Fat & Healthy One-Pot Meals booklet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless,skinless, cut into 6-7 large pieces)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced (I prefer red)
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, well drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup couscous (uncooked)
- salt, to taste
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- 1Coat Dutch oven or large, heavy pot with cooking spray. Cook chicken pieces over medium heat, turning frequently, until they begin to brown, With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken to medium bowl and set aside.
- 2To same pot, add onion, garlic, oil, and 2 tablespoons broth. Stir up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 5-6 minutes or until onion is tender. If liquid begins to evaporate, add more broth.
- 3Return the chicken to the pot. Add remaining broth, green pepper, tomato, garbanzos, raisins, bay leaf, thyme, cumin, allspice, cloves and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- 4Add couscous and stir to mix well. Boil 2 minutes, covered. Remove pot from heat; stir up any couscous sticking to bottom. Allow mixture to stand 10-15 minutes, covered. Add salt to taste, if desired.
- 5Arrange couscous on serving platter and top with chicken and sauce. Garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle-Eastern Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 269.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat chicken broth