Recipe by j-jitterbug
I got this recipe from a crock pot cookbook, and it is fabulous! PILCookbooks.com published it. great with rice or couscous!
Top Review by hbj-from-J-M-family-blog
I've been trying to experiment more with the crock pot this fall. This one was a big hit! I threw it in the crock pot before heading out for a football game Saturday, and we came home to a DELICIOUS post-game-dinner that my whole family loved (my twin 7-year-old boys were literally licking their bowls!). I did make some changes-- I did not pre-cook the meat but instead put it straight into the crock pot (from the freezer no less!); used fresh green beans and doubled the amount called for; added 2 large potatoes (diced); 8 large carrots (diced); used fresh garlic instead of garlic powder; added 2-3 tablespoons curry powder. Served it over couscous. It was GREAT!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with peppers and onions, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can green beans or 6 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and broken into pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice (or cumin)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown half the beef in 2 teaspoons olive oil, and repeat with remaining beef and more oil.
- Throw beef and the remaining ingredients into crock pot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. My sister didn't have allspice when she made it, so she used cumin, which is fab!