Recipe by Sharon123
Beans replace the traditional bulgur in this recipe. Originally black soybeans were used, but you could use any bean you wish!
Top Review by zainab23
Nice salad, will definitely use again. The capsicum made it a bit sweet (not overpoweringly sour or onion flavored like a lot of salads) and the mint flavor really stood out nicely. I added a little bit of lime juice and a dash of onion powder as well. I used chickpeas which were nice, but have also eaten this before with kidney beans which I think goes really well. This would also be nice with other additions such as crumbled feta cheese, olives and/or cucumber.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (or use chickpeas, white beans, etc.)
- 2 large plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (or green)
- 1 cup Italian parsley, chopped (packed)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mint leaf, cut in thin strips (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans, tomatoes, green pepper and parsley in mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice with salt and cayenne. Mix in oil. Pour over bean mixture; toss well. Mix in mint and cilantro, if using. Let it sit 20 minutes so flavors meld together. This will keep in the fridge 24 hours, tightly covered. Enjoy!