Recipe by Canadian Pixie
Got this recipe while searching for a craving.....can't wait to try them. Listed as being from Yan Can Cook.
- 1 (17 1/2 ounce) can lotus seeds, paste
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dried non-fat powdered milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix can of lotus seed paste and walnuts together, set aside for later.
- Sift together flour, milk powder, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light and lemon coloured.
- Add sugar to eggs and beat for 10 minutes or until mixture falls in a thick ribbon.
- Add shortening to egg mixture and mix lightly.
- Fold in flour mixture with spatula.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured board and knead for 1 minute or until smooth and satiny.
- Divide dough in half; roll each half into a log and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- To shape each moon cake, roll a piece of dough into a ball. Roll out to make a 4" circle about 1/8" thick.
- Place 1 tbsp of lotus seed paste mixture in centre of circle. Fold in sides of dough to completely enclose filling; press edges to seal.
- Lightly flour inside of moon cake mold and place cake in, seam side up; flatten dough into mold.
- Bang one end of mold to release cake.
- Place cakes on ungreased baking sheet; brush tops with egg yolk.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 30 minutes until golden. Transfer to rack and let cool.