Mushrooms and chestnuts are great together in this stuffing :) from Bon Appetit
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes or 16 cups white bread cubes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms (I use baby portabella)
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 15 ounces steamed chestnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups approximately canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 400. Using two large baking sheets, divide bread and bake until golden, about 25 minutes--stirring occasionally. Place in large bowl.
- 2Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high; melt butter.
- 3Add onions and cook, about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 4Reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms and stir until juices are released and mushrooms soften (5 minutes.).
- 5Add celery, cook 2 minutes.
- 6Mix onion/mushroom mix into the bread cubes.
- 7Add chestnuts, herbs and nutmeg. Mix and season with salt and pepper (can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- 8To bake IN turkey: Mix 1/2 cup broth and fill main cavity of turkey. Add enough chicken broth to remaining stuffing to moisten it. Spoon into buttered baking dish and cover with buttered foil. Bake along with turkey until heated through.
- 9To bake all stuffing IN pan: Preheat oven to 350 and butter a 15X10X2" baking dish. Mix chicken broth into stuffing until moist and place in buttered dish. Bake until heated through, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mid-Atlantic Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.9
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 338.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: