Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mushrooms and chestnuts are great together in this stuffing :) from Bon Appetit
Make and share this Mid-Atlantic Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes or 16 cups white bread cubes
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms (I use baby portabella)
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 15 ounces steamed chestnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups approximately canned low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400. Using two large baking sheets, divide bread and bake until golden, about 25 minutes--stirring occasionally. Place in large bowl.
- Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high; melt butter.
- Add onions and cook, about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms and stir until juices are released and mushrooms soften (5 minutes.).
- Add celery, cook 2 minutes.
- Mix onion/mushroom mix into the bread cubes.
- Add chestnuts, herbs and nutmeg. Mix and season with salt and pepper (can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- To bake IN turkey: Mix 1/2 cup broth and fill main cavity of turkey. Add enough chicken broth to remaining stuffing to moisten it. Spoon into buttered baking dish and cover with buttered foil. Bake along with turkey until heated through.
- To bake all stuffing IN pan: Preheat oven to 350 and butter a 15X10X2" baking dish. Mix chicken broth into stuffing until moist and place in buttered dish. Bake until heated through, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.