Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
An easy side from the Southern Cooking cookbook.
- 1 large vidalia onion (or other sweet onion variety)
- 1 beef bouillon cubes or 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Peel outer skin from onion.
- Cut slice off bottom root end of onion so it stands upright.
- Cut cone shape out of top of onion with small sharp knife, leaving at least 1/2 inch intact in bottom of onion.
- Place onion in bowl.
- Place bouillon cube and butter in hole in onion.
- Fill bowl with water, covering onion halfway up side.
- Cover onion and bowl loosely with waxed paper; microwave at HIGH 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is tender and can be separated with fork.
- Serve broth with onion, if desired.
Excellent and easy! Used a locally grown sweet onion that was so large it needed an extra min in the microwave... very tasty! Will definitely use this recipe again. Thanks for posting...
Very easy and flavourful. Went great with our steaks. Thanks for posting!