Recipe by Jen T
A good way to cook these in summer when its too hot for the oven. Cooked in a 700wt oven. This recipe comes from my copy of microwave cooking by Alison Holst. A well known cookery book writer in New Zealand. I have been making this regularly for years. You may have to adjust times depending on your oven.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Thank goodness I got this from you! It made my day~because of the ease, the very little prep, and I had everything on hand, right there in my kitchen. Oh yes! And a microwave! This is a great recipe, I made it the same, except I used a baggie to roll the chicken (in the flour) and also I used thighs that had bone in/ and skin. I made a pocket in the thigh and just stuffed with the bacon/mushroom mixture. I did increase the time, by 5 minutes, but other then that all the same. Great, great and thank you so much Jen T. *Aus/NZ Recipe Swap*
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (made from day old bread)
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 50 g butter
- 1 slice bacon (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the savoury crumbs by melting the first measusure of butter in a flat bottomed dish about 20-30 diameter, in microwave for about 30 secs.
- Stir in the crumbs and the parsley.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 2-4 mins until the crumbs brown, stirring often once they start changing colour. The crumbs become crisp & crunchy as they cool.
- Place breasts between 2 sheets of plastic & pound gently with a rolling pin until they are double original length & width.
- Melt the 50g of butter in a small container and add 1Tbsp of this to the chopped bacon, mushrooms & soft breacrumbs. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3mins, stirring or shaking after 1 minute.
- Remove top layer of plastic from the breasts and place some filling on each breast.
- Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Dust lightly with flour, then dip in beaten egg, then roll in the savoury crumbs.
- Arrange breasts evenly in a circle on a flat dish.
- Pour over remaining melted butter and 'bake' uncovered on high for approx 8mins.
- Stand 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Either leave whole to serve or cut into slices.
- Serve either with hot vegetables or a salad.