Recipe by Jen T
A good one to make in summer when you don't want to use the oven but still feel like some hot vegetables.
Top Review by khemstre
Since my oven is broken at the moment, I decided to give this dish a try. I wouldn't say I ended up with "scalloped" potatoes, but rather cooked potatoes, carrots, and onions with melted cheese on top and not really a "sauce". I think I would have gotten better results with the same ingredients if I used a skillet. Oh and you definitely have to put this dish in the broiler to melt the cheese.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 3 potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In an 8-cup casserole dish place the butter and onion.
- Microwave on High for 2-3 minutes, stirring once.
- Add potato and carrot slices and stir to mix.
- Sprinkle over the flour.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes, stirring once.
- Add milk and continue to cook on Medium/High for 6-8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cook for 2-4 mins, or until cheese melts.
- Place under a hot grill (broil) until top is brown and bubbly. (I sometimes don't do this).
- Note: You can stir in some chopped parsley if you like when you add the milk.