Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A good way to make this dessert in the summer when you don't want to turn your oven on. The base of this dessert can also be used for other summer pies. I make this in a 700wt oven. You may have to adjust times if your oven is different.
- 50 g butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain sweet biscuit crumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (almost boiling)
- 1 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind (grated)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- Combine pie shell ingredients and press into a 21cm microwave safe pie plate.
- Microwave on high 2mins.
- Cool completely.
- Combine sugar and cornflour with the pinch salt in a large jug.
- Gradually add the hot water, stirring well to prevent lumps.
- Cook uncovered on High, stirring frequently, until very thick and bubbly.
- Beat egg yolks lightly.
- Stir in 3 Tablespoons of the cornflour mixture to the egg yolks, then add back to the cornflour mixture.
- Cook 1 minute on high.
- Blend in butter, lemon rind and juice and allow to cool before pouring into the pie shell.
- Beat egg whites until stiff then add in caster sugar slowly beating until thick and glossy.
- Pile onto the cooled pie filling, making sure it touches the crust all the way round.
- Cook on high for 3mins.
- Cool away from draughts.