Sue Lau's Note:
I found this to be the quickest and easiest caramel apple recipe I have tried. I started out using 5 bags of caramels, and then added more as I needed. It really does make the operation much easier using lots of caramel, especially when you can cool and store the rest of the caramel to use in other things, or cut up with scissors and eat as a candy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash apples, and allow to completely dry and come to room temperature.
- 2Place buttered wax paper or release foil on a cookie sheet.
- 3Push sticks into the top of the apples.
- 4Have toppings in a small bowl nearby.
- 5Place caramels into a microwave safe or heat safe deep bowl and microwave for two minutes on high.
- 6Stir caramels if you are able. Be careful as the bowl will be really hot.
- 7Continue heating caramels on high in 1-minute intervals, always stirring, until mixture becomes very smooth and fluid.
- 8Quickly dip a couple of apples, swirling them to coat everywhere.
- 9Hold apples over the bowl and allow to drain, and slide the bottoms of the apples against the top of the bowl to scrape off excess caramel.
- 10If you like the toppings on the apples, press the apples lightly into the bowl of toppings.
- 11Place dipped apples on the cookie sheet.
- 12Check the condition of the caramel and if it is thickening, go ahead and heat it for another minute and stir. Don't worry if you need to reheat often, as it's ok.
- 13Continue dipping apples and reheating as necessary.
- 14If you have leftover caramel, pour it onto a heavily buttered cookie sheet and allow to cool and set, then roll it up and place in a ziplock bag to use later.
- 15You can chill apples to get them to set, or just let them sit in the pan to cool off.
- 16Place in cupcake liners before serving, and use within 1-2 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwaved Caramel Apples
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 195.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 63.0 g
- Protein 3.9 g