Microwaved ' Baked' Egg Custard

Total Time
12mins
Prep 3 mins
Cook 9 mins

A quick easy egg custard for times when comfort food is needed. **Note.....This recipe is for a 700wt microwave. For other wattage ovens check your book that came with it for guidelines. For my new Panasonic 1200wt oven which has 1-10 power levels, I heat milk on Hi (100%power) for the 3mins then for cooking I use P3 (30% power)and cook at this level for 15mins, then leave to stand covered for 5mins. As all ovens are different this is a guide only. Experiments may be needed to get the best result.

Directions

  1. In a microwave safe jug heat the milk for 3 minutes on high.
  2. In a bowl beat the eggs,sugar and vanilla together then whisk into the milk.
  3. Stirring all the time strain this mix into a 2L microwave (20cm round) dish and sprinkle with nutmeg.
  4. Cook on 1/2 (50%)power for 4 minutes. Stir and then cook on 1/2(50%) power for another 5 minutes.
  5. Stand 5 minutes.
  6. Serve warm or at room temperature on its own or with fruit and whipped cream.
  7. Cooking time may vary depending on your microwave.
  8. NOTE: This is for a 700w microwave. See my introduction above if using a 1200wt microwave.
Most Helpful

5 5

All I have to say is yum - I'm too busy trying not to eat it all in one sitting. I made six individual custard cups, so cut down the cooking time a little. It was very good - tastes just like the custard my mom used to make. Thanks for sharing such an easy recipe. Just made this again for about the fifth time. I feel so bad for the few people who had trouble with this. I think maybe they cooked at too high a temperature. They are missing out on an easy to make, awesome custard. I pour this into six custard cups after heating the milk initially and mixing with the egg and sugar. I cook 4 minutes on medium, stir and cook for an additional 3 1/2 to 4 minutes on medium. Good luck to all of you who try this and happy eating.

5 5

Just brilliant, easy and quick and delish!

I can't even honestly give this one star. Lumpy, smelly, watery...I wouldn't even give this to my dog. Yuck.