Prep 3 mins
Cook 9 mins
A quick easy egg custard for times when comfort food is needed. **Note.....This recipe is for a 700wt microwave. For other wattage ovens check your book that came with it for guidelines. For my new Panasonic 1200wt oven which has 1-10 power levels, I heat milk on Hi (100%power) for the 3mins then for cooking I use P3 (30% power)and cook at this level for 5mins, then leave to stand covered for 5mins. As all ovens are different this is a guide only. Experiments may be needed to get the best result.
- In a microwave safe jug heat the milk for 3 minutes on high.
- In a bowl beat the eggs,sugar and vanilla together then whisk into the milk.
- Stirring all the time strain this mix into a 2L microwave (20cm round) dish and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cook on 1/2 (50%)power for 4 minutes. Stir and then cook on 1/2(50%) power for another 5 minutes.
- Stand 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature on its own or with fruit and whipped cream.
- Cooking time may vary depending on your microwave.
- NOTE: This is for a 700w microwave. See my introduction above if using a 1200wt microwave.
All I have to say is yum - I'm too busy trying not to eat it all in one sitting. I made six individual custard cups, so cut down the cooking time a little. It was very good - tastes just like the custard my mom used to make. Thanks for sharing such an easy recipe. Just made this again for about the fifth time. I feel so bad for the few people who had trouble with this. I think maybe they cooked at too high a temperature. They are missing out on an easy to make, awesome custard. I pour this into six custard cups after heating the milk initially and mixing with the egg and sugar. I cook 4 minutes on medium, stir and cook for an additional 3 1/2 to 4 minutes on medium. Good luck to all of you who try this and happy eating.
Tasted just like the egg custard of my childhood - the kind that had to be baked in the oven for an hour or more, sitting in a hot water pan. The texture was perfect. Hard to believe it took only 12 minutes. I have made it for very picky friends and they love it, too. I made mine with skim milk cause that was all I had, and it still tasted superb.
Just brilliant, easy and quick and delish!