Recipe by tbean1
I love this healthy alternative to the traditional quiche. The brown rice crust is surprisingly good. You can substitute whatever fresh veggies you have on hand. I love to add a little cheese.
Top Review by brokenburner
I liked the idea of this, but like the previous reviewer said, it was a bit bland. It smelled like the Italian herbs, but that flavor didn't come through very strongly. I used a bag of Steamfresh brown rice, and a teaspoon of dried parsley for the crust; and canned asparagus, whole wheat flour, and two four-ounce cups of All Whites for the filling. I also skipped the margarine, and didn't miss it. I did microwave the filling, but I baked the crust in the oven, and the entire thing after pouring the filling into the crust. It took about 45 minutes on 350. Thanks for posting.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon season salt
- 1 cup thin sliced red onion
- 1 cup asparagus spear
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 10 ounces egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mixed Italian herbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine crust ingredients. Mix well. Press over sides and bottom of a 9" pie pan. Microwave on high till crust is set, about 2 minutes.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, combine veggies and margarine. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or till veggies are tender-crisp.
- In a small bowl mix all other ingredients. Add this to the veggie mixture. Return to microwave and heat on medium for 4-6 minutes. Stir often, remove when mix starts to set around the edges of the bowl.
- Pour mix into crust. Microwave on medium heat until set in the center, about 10-12 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.