Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love this healthy alternative to the traditional quiche. The brown rice crust is surprisingly good. You can substitute whatever fresh veggies you have on hand. I love to add a little cheese.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon season salt
- 1 cup thin sliced red onion
- 1 cup asparagus spear
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 10 ounces egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mixed Italian herbs
- Combine crust ingredients. Mix well. Press over sides and bottom of a 9" pie pan. Microwave on high till crust is set, about 2 minutes.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, combine veggies and margarine. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or till veggies are tender-crisp.
- In a small bowl mix all other ingredients. Add this to the veggie mixture. Return to microwave and heat on medium for 4-6 minutes. Stir often, remove when mix starts to set around the edges of the bowl.
- Pour mix into crust. Microwave on medium heat until set in the center, about 10-12 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
I liked the idea of this, but like the previous reviewer said, it was a bit bland. It smelled like the Italian herbs, but that flavor didn't come through very strongly. I used a bag of Steamfresh brown rice, and a teaspoon of dried parsley for the crust; and canned asparagus, whole wheat flour, and two four-ounce cups of All Whites for the filling. I also skipped the margarine, and didn't miss it. I did microwave the filling, but I baked the crust in the oven, and the entire thing after pouring the filling into the crust. It took about 45 minutes on 350. Thanks for posting.
This was good but a bit bland. The intro said any veggies you had on hand could be used so I used broccoli instead of asparagus. The crust turned out to be quite nice. I was afraid it would stick since the directions didn't include greasing the pie place but it didn't stick at all. The quiche was very quick and easy to make. The directions were very good. Next time I would add some cheese as suggested in the introduction. Made for Keep That Resolution: Lite and Low Recipes Event.
I didn't have brown rice ready, so I made a crust using Ground Flaxseed, Wheat Bran, Parmesean Cheese, and the other ingredients called-for. Also, since I have fresh, free-range duck eggs on-hand (from our pets), I used Duck Egg whites instead of egg substitute. It was really yummy and my Hubby liked it too! :)