I like making this with real cheese but found it works just as well with soy cheez! Amy's makes good vegan mac and cheese but can get pricey...here you can replicate it at home. This is a good size to make for just one person but if you have guests or are making for more people, doubling works. EDIT: After much chat in the Vegetarian & Vegan forum about soy cheeses, I feel I should edit this description (not the actual recipe) to inform purist vegans and/or those with extreme intolerances to dairy products to be wary about soy cheeses containing casein and other milk products. Sorta defeats the purpose! The purely vegan "cheese" that got the best reviews in the thread is Daiya. There was one truly vegan cheese I used to get at Stop & Shop that melts pretty well, but the flavor would be lacking a little hence the 2 tablespoons of nooch helps thicken the soymilk (since it won't thicken under heat itself) and give a flavor and cheeziness boost. Plus lots of nutrients for very little calories!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil 1 dry cup of macaroni in salted water for about 7-8 minutes-- an al dente texture is important or else this gets too mushy.
- 2Drain the macaroni and put into a microwave-safe dish.
- 3Put the soy cheese (or real cheese if you do the non-vegan option) into the dish and mix well.
- 4Mix the nutritional yeast with the soymilk and pour in the dish too.
- 5Add the paprika and mustard powder and mix well again.
- 6Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until all the soy cheese has melted. Mix well, and if it looks like there's still liquid at the bottom from the soymilk, nuke again for another minute or so and mix again.
- 7Yields about 2 one-cup servings but sometimes if I'm really hungry I just eat the whole thing out of the container and call it dinner!
- 8On that note, if you'd like to make it a small one-dish meal, try adding some chopped broccoli, tomato slices, and/or dulse leaves or flakes for "bacon" since those 3 things commonly are baked in mac & cheese dishes.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwave Vegan Mac & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.4
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 40.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: