Recipe by Magpie Jo
This is a GREAT risotto though it's not made in the traditional way. It takes about the same length of time compared with the stove top version, but the advantage is that you don't have to stay with it. I usually serve this with a piece of sirloin steak and a green salad.
Top Review by Ck2plz
We loved it! My SS could not get enough. I did have to add a little more chicken stock because the rice was not done. I took the tip from another risotto recipe to add a splash or two of cream at the end to make it creamy. It was a nice ending touch. I forgot to add the cheese. The risotto was fantastic without it. I will definitely make this again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄3 cups arborio rice
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- extra romano cheese (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place stock in a saucepan and bring to boil on stove. You can use the stock cold if you can't be bothered doing this but the risotto will take longer to cook.
- In a large microwave casserole dish, with a lid, cook onion in the oil for 2 mins on high.
- Add rice and cook a further 2 minutes in microwave oven.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes and cook, covered, on high for about 15- 20 mins until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Allow to stand for 5 mins then fold in the romano and butter.
- Sprinkle extra romano on top to serve.
- Note: If you wish you can substitute the canned tomatoes for fresh, skinned tomatoes,which gives a slightly different result.