Recipe by DangerousWithKnives
Delicious quick sponge pud!
Top Review by NOOBchef
I used honey instead of syrup and a 20x20cm greased and papered pan. I found it ... dense, not fluffy at all. Very eggy, and with a pervading aftertaste of baking powder. However, for a mcirowave cake it's alright - what I liked is that it rasied itself away form the edges of the pan, making it very easy to take out. I made two, then layered and topped them with strawberry-banana cream cheese icing. It was OK. Sorry! <3, the NOOBchef.
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup (or light corn syrup if not available)
- 6 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- custard, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 1.5 litre heatproof bowl with a small amount of butter. Spoon the syrup into the basin.
- Cream the remaining butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well between each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, then fold into the creamed mixture using a large metal spoon. Add enough warm water to give a soft, dropping consistency. spoon into the bowl and level.
- Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap, leaving a small gap to allow air to escape. Microwave on high power for 4 minutes, then remove and let stand for 5 minutes, while it continues to cook.
- Turn the sponge out on to a warm serving plate. Serve with custard.