I was looking at recipes and saw good ones of how to cook squash. Here is another one. I pick firm hard skinned 2 to 4 pounds. Wash. This is fast, kids can do this, let Mom or Dad take out of microwave.
- Wash the squash.
- Poke holes in the top and sides with a tined fork. About 6 times.
- Set microwave on 70% power. Cook 15 minutes.
- Moisture and steam will seep from the vent holes.
- The skin should start to be soft and pliable.
- Note of Caution: I was just notified that a squash exploded when it was cooked on high power. Since this recipe was written and I have no way of knowing the wattage of each microwave, DO NOT COOK ON HIGH POWER. continue to cook at 5 minute intervals at 70% power. The skin should be very soft and pliable.
- The whole squash should be soft and pliable.
- If not, cook a few minutes more.
- Take out of microwave, let set for a few minutes. THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT.
- On cutting board, cut in half. Clean out the seeds.Clean out all of the flesh. Add the salt and butter. All of the flesh is considered to be spaghetti strands in Spaghetti squash.
- Ready for both types of squash to be baked, mashed or served. Ready to add more butter, sauces, sour cream, pasta sauces or garlic and onion, or brown sugar for hubbard squash. The kids love to scrape the squash and pop a few strands in their mouths in the process.