Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple, delicious recipe for those who are allergic to peanuts or are just looking for the health benefits of soy!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup roasted soybeans
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Prepare all ingredients in advance.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a 1 1/2 quart casserole, stir together sugar and syrup.
- Microwave at high 4 minutes.
- Stir in soynuts.
- Microwave at high 3 to 5 minutes, until light brown.
- Add butter and vanilla to syrup, blending well.
- Microwave at high 1 to 2 minutes.
- Soynuts will be lightly browned and syrup very hot.
- Add baking soda and gently stir until light and foamy, but make sure you do it quickly or the brittle will get too cool to pour!
- Pour mixture onto cookie sheet.
- Let cool 1/2 to 1 hour.
- When cool, break into small pieces and store in air-tight container.
- Note: Although quick and easy, syrup mixture will be very hot!
- Please use caution when preparing this recipe.
I found this recipe to be very good - for Adults. Children's tastes aren't refined enough to appreciate this recipe. True, it doesn't taste like the original (which is always everyone's first complaint about everything from tofu hotdogs, to reduced fat/sodium/sugar) But people with dietary needs shouldn't have to miss out either! I happen to like the health benefits of soy, so I don't mind making recipes with soy.