Prep 30 mins
Cook 13 mins
Another meal in a dish throw together that turned out really well. It was too hot to use the oven to scallop so I Woked then microwaved. Went great with sliced Tomatoes and a good shot of Crystal hot sauce. The Wok makes it easy to try the bacon then get it all out of the fat. This served 4 meals but I'm eating lighter now.
- 1⁄2 lb cheap but meaty bacon, chopped to about 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb steamed cooled sliced new white potato (I'm guessing)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced about an inch
- 1 small bell pepper, diced about half an inch (red would be nice)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chicken base (Bullion grains)
- black pepper (not much)
- grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Fire up the Wok, medium heat, with the Bacon.
- You can use a Skillet but the Wok really works well.
- When the Bacon just begins to try out add the Peppers and Onion.
- Chow for a few moments, lower the heat to medium low, cover and continue cooking till the Onions are translucent.
- When finished, lift Bacon, Peppers, and Onion out of the fat, (here's when the Wok pays off), and drain on paper towels till cool.
- Beat together the Egg, Water, Celery, Chicken Bullion, and Liquid Smoke.
- In a microwave proof around 9" dish, layer about 1/3 of the potatoes, half the bacon-pepper-onion, a splash of the egg mix.
- More potatoes, rest of the bacon-pepper-onion, a splash of egg, The rest of the Potatoes, and egg.
- Top with the Grated Parmesan.
- Microwave 5 minutes.
- Rest a minute or so.
- Microwave another 4 or 5 minutes until the Egg is well set and the Cheese melted.
I can tell the person who shared this, was a great cook!I never would have thought to add peppers to scalloped potatoes. Adding both red and green peppers would make not only a tasty but attractive holiday side dish.
This was savory! Definitely recommend serving it with the hot sauce. I also liked that I could make most of it ahead and then put it all together just before serving. I did increase most of the seasonings and will add another egg next time.