Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is yummy,a family favorite, and easy to do. We use this as a main course, also a great pot luck dish. The microwave blends the flavors in a way the oven never does.
- Melt butter in 4 cup glass measuring cup.
- Blend in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually add milk while stirring.
- Microwave 8 to 10 minutes stirring after 4 minutes.
- Hint- if you put a plate under the measuring cup it will not boil over during cooking.
- Make 3 layers of potatoes, ham, cheese, onion and sauce in 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Very tasty, my family loved it. I reduced the milk to 1 1/2 cups since my baking dish wasn't that deep. Also left out the ham and topped the potatoes with a sprinkle of paprika powder and parsley. 30 minutes was just perfect. Will be making this often.
I guess we must have used too much milk, because ours boiled over--not while it was in the cup, but after the potatoes had been added. Once the mess was cleaned up, we finished cooking it and it was very good. We did not add the ham. I'll try this again with a little less milk. Thanks for posting!
I (accidentally) sliced potatoes, when I sliced onions, for another recipe (I meant to mash them); so, I looked up microwave scalloped potatoes. I didn't have cream of (anything) soup, so I chose this recipe. I made it exactly as stated, except for deleting meat, and using garlic pepper salt. It was easy, creamy, and great. Thanks! Belinda