1/1 Photo of Microwave Risotto With Peas and Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
I’ve made risotto by the traditional method (in a pan on the stove top, stirring for 1/2 hour adding a 1/2-cup of broth at a time) and by this microwave method. I can’t tell the difference of the final result. So this is the only way I make risotto now. This is a good recipe for those who have physical challenges and can’t stir regular risotto for half an hour. Let the microwave do the work for you and eliminate most of the stirring. Just make sure to use a medium grain rice. I have best results with Calrose rice. Long grain doesn’t work well because it has less of the starch that creates the creamy texture of risotto. This recipe is gauged for a 1500-watt microwave.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups calrose medium-grain white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt (to taste)
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1In a 3-qt sauce pan, bring chicken broth, white wine, garlic powder, onion powder and white pepper to a simmer. Stir well and keep simmering until needed.
- 2In a 2-1/2-qt covered microwave casserole dish, microwave olive oil for 2-minutes.
- 3Add yellow onion and crushed garlic, stir well and microwave covered for 4-minutes.
- 4Add rice, stir well, until rice is coated in olive oil and microwave covered for 4-minutes.
- 5Add 5 cups of the simmering chicken broth to rice mixture, stir well and microwave, covered, for 8-minutes.
- 6Stir well, and microwave covered for 8-more minutes.
- 7Add remaining cup of chicken broth, peas and salt to taste, stir well again and microwave covered for a final 8-minutes.
- 8Check to see if risotto is done. If risotto is done, serve as suggested below. If risotto is not quite done, add 1/2 hot water, stir well and microwave, covered, for 2 to 3 additional minutes.
- 9Stir in 3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Spoon the risotto into the center of each serving dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwave Risotto With Peas and Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.8
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 1001.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 15.5 g