Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
this is from barbara kafka's "microwave gourmet". i make it often, it's so easy. no stirring like the traditional recipe. add an extra cup of water if you like yours creamier.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 -5 saffron strands
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- heat butter and oil in pie dish, uncovered for 2 minutes on hi.
- add onion, stir, cook for 4 minutes on hi.
- stir in rice to coat, cook 4 minutes on hi.
- mix saffron into broth, add to rice, cook on hi for 9 minutes.
- stir and cook on hi for 9 minutes more.
- let sit for a few mins, add salt, pepper and cheese.
My microwave is a powerful one and the onions burned during the first steps. And all this liquid wouldn't fit into a pie plate, so I used a casserole dish. Then after the two 9 minute cooking steps, it was still very soupy, so I added another 5 minutes. It came out dark brown and gummy, not really the way risotto should look. But the flavor was still good. I was making for myself, so I was happy, but if it had been for company, I'd have been disappointed.
This is an excellant recipe! I do have to adjust the cooking time for the onions. I use shallots in place of the onions. I also add rosemary and marsala wine--no saffron. I served this with braised lamb shanks and it was a definite hit. T
This is a recipe I kept meaning to post, as I could never find the book when I wanted to make it - how great to find it already posted. Borrow the book from the library for conversions to different quantities and also for some tasty variations. I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow.