Recipe by GothicGranola
I've always wanted to make risotto but thought it was too much work. This is a simple version from the cookbook Midnight Snacks.
Top Review by evewitch
I have to start by saying that I did not have arborio or any other short-grain rice in the house. I substituted Goya brand medium grain rice. This threw off the recipe more than I expected it to. The liquid had completely absorbed when I checked the rice before the final 2 minutes as instructed. Therefore, I stopped cooking at that point. The texture suffered a bit. I was also so discombobulated that I forgot entirely to add the parmesan, so the taste suffered as well. I will set this recipe aside and try again with the correct rice.
- 1 small onions or 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- minced fresh herbs (optional) or butter (optional) or milk (optional) or cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chopped onion and shortening. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, stirring once after 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with the oil. Microwave on high for 4 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and return bowl to microwave. Cook the rice on high for 18 minutes, stirring once half way through. Stir again before the last 2 minutes and check to see that the liquid is almost all absorbed.
- Take the bowl from the microwave and let the rice absorb the last of the liquid, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Add the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Before serving, you may add whatever mined herbs you like, swirl in a pat or butter, or some milk or cream if you like a creamier risotto.