Recipe by designerchef in Chicagoland, Illinois
I don't know where my mother in law found this recipe originally, I changed one ingredient once because I did not have something and now it is even better and is a family favorite. It is super moist, easy to make and a very quick meal to make after work and tastes like you spent the whole day. Can be made ahead of time for quicker dinners.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies
- 2⁄3 cup Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 4 slices bacon
- catsup, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together adding the rice krispies last. Save the bacon and catsup for the top.
- Mix well and place in a large shallow microwavable dish and flatten until about 2 inches thick. Place katsup generously on top and spread out with a spoon. Add sliced bacon to top. Cover with lid and microwave at 5 minute increments, draining off any grease each time and rotate dish for even cooking. Cook for about 25-35 minutes or until done.
- Excellent and if you are lucky enough to have any leftovers, makes a great meat loaf sandwich!
- **please note** Heinz 57 sauce has changed their formula recently and may not be dairy and seafood free-ALWAYS reread ingredients EACH time you purchase when cooking for someone with food allergies.