Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe from my microwave cookbook is so easy & so good that my husband & grandson make it often. Its a kind of male bonding in the kitchen!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup shelled raw peanuts
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- HEAVILY grease a baking sheet.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup& salt in a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Stir in peanuts.
- Microwave at HIGH until light brown (8 10 minutes), stirring once or twice.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until light& foaming& spread as thinly as possible on baking sheet for brittle candy.
- Cool& break into pieces.
Very nice. Mine took a little over 10 minutes in the microwave. For my taste there were too many peanuts for the amount of brittle. Next time I'll reduce to 1 cup and see if that is better. But the flavor is good and it was certainly easy. I did realize, after I had made it, eaten it, and reviewed it, that I in fact left out a step. I didn't add the butter and baking soda after it had cooked in the microwave. And without that, it still tasted really good! So even without some of the ingredients it is quite good.
I can't believe how easy this was!! Making candy has always intimidated me but all you had to do with this is measure and stir. I added extra peanuts (dry roasted ones. yum!) just because I like it that way. :) But what an easy easy way to make a sinful treat!
Thanks for a tasty and easy recipe, CL! I made this as directed except that I left out the peanuts(no laughing!). I love the 'brittle' but am not a peanut fan. I've never justified making a batch of it just for myself until I saw your recipe and how easy it was! This took the full 10 minutes in my micro. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for posting!