Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This puts store bought peanut brittle to shame. I prefer to use the skinless peanuts because I think the skins are bitter. The amount listed below for the peanuts is if you're using Virginia peanuts. If you're using Spanish peanuts then reduce the amount of peanuts to 1 1/2 cups. Be sure to watch the candy carefully the first time you make it.
- 2 cups raw peanuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- Combine peanuts, sugar, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a large microwave safe bowl. Mixture will be quite gummy.
- Microwave on high power for 2 minutes and then stir.
- Continue microwaving the peanut brittle a couple minutes at a time until the peanuts are a nice roasted brown color. Be sure you're looking at the peanuts themselves and not the syrup surrounding them. The time this takes will vary according to your microwave. When the syrup starts to get really hot you may want to check every minute or less to prevent it from burning.
- After the peanuts are cooked quickly stir in the butter, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Pour the candy out on to a sheet of aluminum foil and spread it as thin as you can get it.
- Let the candy cool completely before breaking it into pieces.
Very good peanut brittle. I loved the brown sugar in this recipe. I micro'd for 2 minutes then stirred and then 3 minutes after that, stirring every minute, it turned out well. I had to spread fast before it set up. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made for PAC 08
this was pretty good and should have been really easy but maybe it is the humidity here mine had a hard time setting up then the syrup was a bit burnt tasting but still a little grainy? and really sticky? like i said the humidity could have been a factor.. i threw in a dash of red pepper and cinnamon.. the flavor was really good.. the texture and handling is what i had to give it a 4 star for.. may try again. seems easier than other recipes for sure.