Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A nice way to make vegetables into a tasty snack to eat when you have the refrigerator door open, instead of say, well, you know.
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienne strips, 2 x 1/4 inch
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli florets, and 1/4 inch stem slices
- 1 cup fresh cauliflower floret
- 2 green pepper rings, 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- In 4-cup measure mix vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave at High 4 to 6 minutes, or until mixture begins to boil.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Place carrots, brocoli, cauliflowerets, green pepper and water in 2-quart casserole, cover.
- Microwave at High 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are vibrant colors but still crisp, stirring after half the time.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Layer vegetables in two 1-pint jars as follows: stand carrots upright, add green pepper ring, layer of cauliflowerets, and broccoli, then clove of garlic.
- Pour half of vinegar mixture into each jar.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to each; cover.
- Refrigerate at least 5 days before serving and no longer than 4 weeks.