Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Get that great home-made taste with this easy recipe. My kids absolutely love this.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups hot water
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- In a 2-qt.
- microwave-safe dish, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes; stir.
- Cover and cook at 50% power for 4 minutes for until mixture comes to a boil, roating a half turn once.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into macaroni mixture.
- Add cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 6-8 minutes or until the macaroni is tender and sauce is bubbly, rotating a half turn once and stirring every 3 minutes.
Yummy yummy! I am without an oven at the moment so trying more microwave cooking. This came out really great! I doubled the pepper and mustard and added an extra ounce of cheese (I used white American (vs. yellow American)) because I had it to use. Also used skim milk. Cooked in a 2.5 qt bowl instead of a casserole because I was afraid of it boiling over. There was a lot of sauce but it thickened up quickly and was fine with me - more cheese the better! :) Thanks for sharing!
Well I thought this was a great recipe!! I didn't have ground mustard so I used a squirt of grainy yellow mustard and it had a nice taste to it. Grandkids LOVED this recipe. Thanks for sharing!!
I wanted something more than the usual box mix. This was quick, but had too much sauce. It does thicken up upon standing, but I would use more noodles next time. I added 1 tsp Worc. sauce and used sharp cheddar cheese. The mac 'n chz hater did like this! I think she's sick of the box mix. I cooked it for 9 min at step 7, but the noodles were overcooked. All in all, a great dish. Dh liked it too. Oh, and I used the same 2.5 ltr dish and it didn't boil over. Go figure!