Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Fast fix up makes broccoli not the same old same old! My teens love this and will only eat broccoli like this or smothered in cheese- this is healthier! I created this recipe after the broccoli served at my fave Chinese place. The variety of ingredients apply to many regional cuisines such as Italian, Asian and SW.
Top Review by ebookworm
I made this recipe almost exactly as specified and it got rave reviews from 3 broccoli HATERS! I did used minced garlic from a jar rather than either powder or mincing my own. I chose to use the optional red pepper flakes and I highly recommend them. This had SO much flavor and actually made me *want* to eat the broccoli (I'd bought it to be healthy, I honestly think that plain broccoli tastes like lawn clippings). It was so good I made it again the very next night but with only 1 tbsp of olive oil and a bit more lemon juice. Result was the same...delicious. Overall I suggest only 1 tbsp of oil and adding the red pepper flakes.
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets or 2 heads fresh broccoli, cleaned and cut into florets
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, bottled is fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to your liking
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave broccoli and water in covered bowl on high for 6 minutes or til crisp tender.
- While it is cooking mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Drain cooked broccoli.
- Pour lemon garlic mixture over broccoli and mix to coat.
- If using fresh garlic cover the dish and let sit for about 2 minutes to allow heat from broccoli to "cook" and remove the raw taste from the garlic.
- If using garlic powder you are ready to serve.