1/1 Photo of Microwave Gravy
These recipes are adapted from Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet. They are based on an oven of 650 to 700 watt oven, which is low by today's standards. If your microwave is lower or higher power, you should adjust the times. Veloute
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat butter in an 8 cup glass measuring cup at 100%, uncovered, for 2 min.
- 2Remove from oven.
- 3Thoroughly whisk in flour.
- 4Cook, uncovered at 100% for 2 min more. Remove from oven.
- 5Whisk in cream and broth.
- 6Cook, uncovered at 100% for 2 min; stir and cook for 3 min more. Remove from oven, add salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- 7Add lemon juice to taste. Variation with mushrooms (This is my standard Thanksgiving gravy.) Increase butter (or fat) to 4 tbsp.
- 8Add flour and cook as for Veloute. Add 1/4 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered and sliced (If the mushrooms are very large, cut in smaller pieces). You may also substitute dried mushrooms for a portion of the fresh mushrooms.
- 9Add lemon juice and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- 10(The recipe also lists 2 Tbsp of chopped dill as an optional ingredient, but I've never used it.) Cook, uncovered at 100% for 3 min, finish as for Veloute above. Another microwave sauce to use as gravy is Marchand du Vin Sauce Makes 1 1/2 cups 1/4 cup chopped shallots (about 5 medium shallots) 1 clove garlic, smashed, peeled, and minced 2 cups red wine 1 cup chicken, duck, or veal broth 1 Tbsp chicken, duck or veal glaze (very concentrated broth) 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 tsp cold water (optional) fresh ground pepper Put shallots, garlic, wine and 1/2 cup of broth in a 8 cup glass measure. Cook, uncovered, at 100% for 20 minutes, until reduced by one half.
- 11Remove from oven and deglaze roast cooking pan with this mixture, then cook on top of the stove until slightly thickened, and season to taste. If not deglazing, briskly stir in cornstarch slurry and cook uncovered, at 100% for 2 minutes.
- 12Season to taste.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwave Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.1
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.3 g
- Saturated Fat 34.9 g
- Cholesterol 193.5 mg
- Sodium 520.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 5.8 g