Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This quick and easy jam makes only 2 1/2 cups. It makes a wonderful glaze for oven-roasted salmon. 3 cups of plums is about 10-12 plums. This recipe comes from the book Small Batch Preserving by Topp and Howard.
- 3 cups purple plums, chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Place plums and sugar in a deep 8-cup microwavable container.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Microwave, uncovered on High for 7 minutes, stirring twice.
- Add ginger; microwave, uncovered on High for 15 to 18 minutes or until mixture will form a gel, stirring every 4 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized jars and use the inversion method or water bath for 10 minutes.
great taste- easy to make
This has great taste. I did substitute fresh ginger instead. It was also my first time making jam in the microwave and it never did gel. That's ok because I'll use it as a sauce for pork and chicken.
Excellent no fuss jam! I had loads of plums to use up, so I ended up with a mix of Aussiebelle, Tegan Blue, Angelino and Mid Red plums, which I peeled, so the colour came out a bit more of a golden orange than the red/purple of the recipe. Very tasty! Thanks Mary!