Recipe by M&Mers
This becomes a healthier dish by microwaving instead of frying the eggplant (eggplant is like a sponge and quickly soaks up the cooking oil). This recipe has good flavor but if you think you would miss not having meat, you could add some cooked ground beef (about 1/2lb) as one of the layers.
Top Review by Jeffsmom
After microwaving the eggplant, I put the slices under the broiler a few minutes to further cook them before assembling. Didn't help much - could have been the age of the eggplant.
- 1 eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 1 egg
- 29.58 ml milk
- 236.59 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 3.69 ml dried basil
- 3.69 ml dried oregano
- 3.69 ml garlic powder
- 414.03 ml spaghetti sauce
- 473.18 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- 78.07 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant.
- Cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- In shallow bowl, mix egg with milk.
- Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl and mix in the basil, oregano and garlic.
- Dip eggplant slices first into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture.
- Arrange half of the eggplant on a 10 inch microwaveable plate lined with paper towels.
- Microwave, uncovered, on HI for about 4 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Spread 1/4 cup spagetti sauce in an 8 inch square microwaveable baking dish.
- Layer half of the eggplant, half of the mozzarella and half of the remaining sauce in dish.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Microwave, covered, on HI for about 4 minutes then at 50% for 10 minutes.
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.