This is a quick breakfast sandwich that I will put up against the best of any you can buy at a fast food restaurant. Clean up is minimal and quick. No skillets, mixing bowls or any of the other things you would normally use in a from scratch meal. My girlfriend who is not fond of preparing meals, turned me on to something she called "egg in a cup". We had been making variations of it for a couple of years. One morning I decided to add ham to the "egg in a cup" and place it between an English muffin. I then served some to friends who seemed to like them and asked how they were made. So, here it is. Hope you like it. To change things up, you can omit the ham and add finely diced onion, bell pepper, mushroom and tomato or spinach to the top of the egg before you add the shredded cheese. It makes a mini omelet that you can serve by itself, the original "egg in a cup" or on the muffin.
- 1. In a microwavable cup about the diameter of your muffin, spray the bottom with cooking spray. ( a cup with a curved bottom will work the best).
- 2. Place ham, bacon or sausage in the bottom of the cup.
- 3. Crack the egg and add to the cup.
- 4. With a fork, puncture the egg yolk 2 or 3 times. (if you don’t, you will have exploded egg all over your microwave).
- 5. Place enough shredded cheese to cover the egg.
- 6. Cover the cup with a paper towel,.
- 7. Microwave on high for 2 or 3 minutes, enough time to thoroughly cook the egg yolk. (all microwaves are not created equally, so you may have to experiment with the time. Better to under cook the first one and then cook a bit longer until you know the correct time for your oven).
- 8. Split the muffin and toast it while the egg is cooking.
- 9. Butter the muffin halves.
- 10. Slide the egg out of the cup and onto the bottom half of the muffin. (comes out easier if you let it set for a minute or two to give the cheese time to firm up. I use a butter knife to go around the edges of the melted cheese to free it up. If you sprayed it enough, it should slide right out.
- 11. Add some jelly to the top half of the muffin if you like, salt and pepper to taste, close it up and enjoy.
WOW...I was looking for a quick breakfast recipe and I found the right one. Our microwave is really powerful so it cooked in 1.5 mins. I added the cheese about the last 15 seconds of cooking and used Canadian bacon. Perfect! I'll be making this again. Thanks for posting the recipe.