Prep 3 mins
Cook 3 mins
Spinach, bacon, cheese and tomatoes float in a fluffy frittata thats ready in just 3 minutes! My husband and I started the south beach diet and got tired of plain eggs and bacon after a few days. You can put almost anything into this to make it your own--we also like mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, tomato juice, ham, cheddar cheese, or even the eggs alone. I have it listed as a single recipe because it's more fun to choose your own veggie combination, but if you want to make it double sized, the microwave time increases to 6 1/2 minutes for a 3 cup round container, and up to 8 minutes for an 8x8-inch Pyrex.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 -2 slice turkey bacon
- 1⁄3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Pam cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- Spray a microwave safe cereal sized bowl with the Pam.
- Wash the spinach, pat it dry, remove the stems, and tear it into edible sized pieces. (1/2 cup is my guess, I usually just grab a small fistful.) Toss into bottom of bowl.
- Either slice or dice the tomato and toss it inches Likewise with the bacon. Throw the cheese on top of that. (you can change any of the veggies to suit your tastes).
- Beat the two eggs and milk in a separate cup lightly with a fork, pour over the mess in the bottom of the bowl (a lot of the stuff will float, especially the spinach and bacon). Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes. (I don't know how many watts my microwave is--let it cook for about 20 seconds after the center puffs up even with the rest, and it should be done) Avoid overcooking or it will form a yucky crust of crunchy egg. The sooner you eat it, the fluffier it is. After 15 minutes of sitting, it will be cold, and about half of the size it was coming out of the microwave. I don't recommend letting it sit that long.
Pretty darn good frittata. Easy peasy to make. I used bacon, spinach and roasted red peppers. I think I would maybe cook the bacon before doing this again, it was kinda soft still. Other than that I enjoyed the flavor and the ease of preparation. Made this for dinner after working in the yard all day and really had no energy to cook. Worked for me! Made for the Babes of ZWT4
This was a very good recipe. I used smoked ham instead of bacon with good results. This amount filled a 2 cup baker, ans puffed up to twice its height while cooking. Next time I think I will add a tablespoon Parmesan cheese, Thank you Japan Bound for a good recipe. Made for the Chic Chefs during Zaar World Tour 4.
DH and I loved our breakfast this morning. Perfect! And so easy, healthy, and I always have these ingredients in the house. I did forget to thaw out bacon, but it was still wonderful! This would also be great in a sandwich. Thanks Japan Bound for sharing. Make for ZWT4 Italian Frittata challenge for the Flying Dutchess'.