28 Reviews

I actually should give this 10 stars because my two little min-pins are very pleased. They want to thank you for this recipe! I used chicken broth and egg substitute. I only had to cook them 5 minutes and they were plenty done. Thank you!

12 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
jamb September 20, 2002

Please leave out the onion salt,dogs should not have onions in any form.

5 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
claudette March 13, 2003

When these were cooking, they had such a strong garlic smell that I thought no way would my little doggies (Dachshunds) eat these! But maybe that's why they love them so!! And these were very easy to make! I used a large bone cookie cutter and rolled the dough out a little thick, so they would have a treat that would last a little longer than two seconds - maybe like two minutes! :) Jagger, Maggie, & Chester says WOOF WOOF meaning thanks for the recipe and it's five stars!!!

5 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Paulette January 18, 2003

*****NO FORM OF ONIONS FOR DOGS!!!!***** in other words, please leave out the onion salt! In fact, dogs should not have any kind of spices, in any form. Dogs can not digest spices or onions!!!!

3 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Myrya April 16, 2003

Salt is also not good for dogs. And garlic is, in fact, toxic in large quantities. I think this would be just fine without all of the risky stuff.

2 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Paris D August 10, 2011

Garlic can cause dogs to have seizures. Need to make a note of this on recipe.

2 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Jacqueline in KY March 28, 2006

I'm not sure I would give this to my dog with the onion and the double dose of garlic. This was on the ASPCA website "Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic, Jaspar. Unfortunately, we do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity. What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets." even though very little may be ok there is always that chance that just that little bit could cause a reaction.

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
luv2teachec May 24, 2012

I made these today for my lab Maggie and my chihuahua Nacho... both of them went bonkers.... my very food motivated dogs did all sorts of tricks to get more of this. II left out the onion and added in some parsley and parmisan... smelled pretty darn good too! Im packing some up right now to send to a friend. thanks

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
velvetwing November 07, 2008

My dog simply loves these. A little note about the garlic: Garlic contains a compound named thiosulphate. In extremely high levels thiosulphate can be a dangerous toxin that cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. But we’re not talking about garlic dog treats, supplemental garlic, or healthy table scraps that may have included fresh garlic in the recipe. We’re talking about situations where your pet sniffs out several bulbs of garlic you were about to use for a giant batch of homemade spaghetti sauce for the whole neighborhood and winds up eating 50 cloves in one sitting. So, putting a little garlic powder in your dog's treat or in foods you give him isn't going to kill him.

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Midnight Sun Chef July 14, 2008

garlic has been linked to pancreatitis as well as the onions causing anemia.

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
love_thy_pup June 17, 2008
Microwave Dog Biscuit Treats