Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from an old cookbook on Microwave cooking. Very elegant for a dinner party.
Top Review by CountryLady
An absolutely delicious soup that will be the first course at my next dinner party! The hint of lemon & paprika was perfect. But I must confess - I followed standard stove-top soup making techniques rather than using the microwave. I substituted margarine and 1/2 & 1/2 (to lower the colesterol) and needed only 3 tbsps of flour. Thanx Heather!
- 1 lb fresh green asparagus
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped (I use Vidalia sweet)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off the tough bottom ends of the asparagus and discard.
- Cut off the tips of the asparagus and set into a bowl; set aside a few of them for garnishing later.
- Chop the stalks of the asparagus into small, bite sized pieces and add to the bowl of asparagus tips.
- Place butter in a heavy, deep round microwaveable dish (such as a white Corningware casserole) and let it melt on HIGH for approximately 1 minute, or until melted.
- Add the onion and aspargus tips& spears to the butter, cover, and cook on HIGH for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, mixing well.
- Next, pour in the broth and add the chives, stir, recover, and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes, stirring 3 times during this process.
- Asparagus should be very tender- if not, return for 2 more minutes, stir, test again, repeat if needed.
- Remove from microwave (wear oven mits) and puree using a wand blender (or use your regular blender).
- Add cream, lemon juice, and seasonings to taste.
- Get the asparagus tips you set aside for the garnish and put them into the microwave, in a microwave safe dish, for just about 2 minutes or so- just enough to blanch them so they aren't so raw tasting.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with an asparagus tip before serving.
- NOTE: Since microwaves vary greatly, there may be some variations in the cooking times depending upon your microwave.