Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from an old cookbook on Microwave cooking. Very elegant for a dinner party.
Make and share this Microwave Creamy Asparagus Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Cut off the tough bottom ends of the asparagus and discard.
- Cut off the tips of the asparagus and set into a bowl; set aside a few of them for garnishing later.
- Chop the stalks of the asparagus into small, bite sized pieces and add to the bowl of asparagus tips.
- Place butter in a heavy, deep round microwaveable dish (such as a white Corningware casserole) and let it melt on HIGH for approximately 1 minute, or until melted.
- Add the onion and aspargus tips& spears to the butter, cover, and cook on HIGH for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, mixing well.
- Next, pour in the broth and add the chives, stir, recover, and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes, stirring 3 times during this process.
- Asparagus should be very tender- if not, return for 2 more minutes, stir, test again, repeat if needed.
- Remove from microwave (wear oven mits) and puree using a wand blender (or use your regular blender).
- Add cream, lemon juice, and seasonings to taste.
- Get the asparagus tips you set aside for the garnish and put them into the microwave, in a microwave safe dish, for just about 2 minutes or so- just enough to blanch them so they aren't so raw tasting.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with an asparagus tip before serving.
- NOTE: Since microwaves vary greatly, there may be some variations in the cooking times depending upon your microwave.
An absolutely delicious soup that will be the first course at my next dinner party! The hint of lemon & paprika was perfect. But I must confess - I followed standard stove-top soup making techniques rather than using the microwave. I substituted margarine and 1/2 & 1/2 (to lower the colesterol) and needed only 3 tbsps of flour. Thanx Heather!