Prep 3 mins
Cook 7 mins
This recipe has been tried and tested by my friends, family and work mates. They never expect it to work as traditional dumpling take hours of steaming. This takes about 10 minutes. Tastes authentic or I would not use it, or be asked for copies of it, so often. Very quick and easy. A cheats delight.
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 lb mixed fruit
- 4 ounces white sugar
- 1⁄2 lb margarine or 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 lb plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Into a heavy pan place the following ingredients; water, spices, fruit, sugar, butter and treacle.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute only; remove from the heat.
- Stir the eggs, flour, and bicarbonate of soda into the mixture. It will appear to start cooking the mixture. Do not worry.
- Put mixture into pudding basins which have been lined generously with cling wrap. Wrap should flap over the sides of the basin; tap to get rid of air pockets.
- Place into the microwave for about 7 minutes. Do not cover the top with the cling wrap.
- Each microwave is different and, depending on size and power, you will have to use your own judgement.
- They are ready when a skewer comes out clean and feels firm on top.
- Now it's up to you. Play around with the sizes and make individual ones (approximately 2 or 3 minutes) or play about with the fillings.
This was great I did it for Burns night. I have a 1700 wt Microwave. One recipe did approx 8 portions. 1 min in the microwave was sufficient. I madethem in the morning, covered with film to protect. To reheat - it only needs 30secs in the micro. Great with custard.
really enjoyed this. I added a wee dram to the fruit & left it overnight.Added a bit less water to compensate.Had it at Hogmanay & my sister-in-law had about 3 portions.This year I'm making more & taking it with me when I go 'first-footing'.
Very Tasty, it was Beautiful and Spicy, Hope you can share More Recipes like this. Thank You Very Much, Sam