Recipe by Chris from Kansas
I was surprised to find that I could make these bars in the microwave. This comes in handy during the summer when you don't want to heat up the house. The recipe is from Taste of Home magazine and is credited to Shirley Glaab.
Top Review by Vision
I thought these were pretty good, although ugly, ugly, ugly! But my oven was on the fritz and I wanted cookies...there was the microwave, there was my computer...found this recipe, and...I was satisfied! I used milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and walnuts (if using).
- Spread into greased 8-inch square microwave-safe dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5 minutes or until bars test done, rotating a quarter turn each minute.
- Cool before cutting.