Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was a saving grace for my husband who was craving dark chocolate one night. Low fat, and will definitely stop the cravings! Sauce can be drizzled for a topping or poured to make a pudding. My son also likes the sauce to make dairy-free milkshakes, and it's great to dip fruit in. Good hot or cold. Adaptions from healthwell.com and recipecottage.com Easy to adapt for all sorts of allergies or medical conditions.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free for allergies, such as rice flour or a mixture of soy and rice, corn etc)
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar (or to taste) or 1⁄2-1 cup maple syrup (or to taste) or 1⁄2-1 cup golden syrup (or to taste)
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 -5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold water (rice or soy milk for allergies) or 1 cup cold brewed coffee (rice or soy milk for allergies) or 1 cup orange juice (rice or soy milk for allergies) or 1 cup milk (rice or soy milk for allergies)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring or 1 teaspoon almond flavoring or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons chocolate flavoring
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- sugar or syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup rice milk or 1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- cornstarch, to thicken
- CAKE: Sift dry ingredients into a bowl (if using thick flour such as soy, it can work better if you sift twice) In another bowl mash banana and mix with liquid ingredients.
- Combine and stir both together till well blended.
- Pour into a lightly oiled microwave cake dish (I use a ring dish).
- Cook high heat (use turntable) 6 to 8 minutes or until cake tests done.
- SAUCE: In a bowl, mix a small amount of milk with cornstarch to create a paste.
- In a saucepan, combine cocoa, sugar/syrup and salt.
- Gradually add milk and cornstarch mix until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until desired consistency.
- Stir in vanilla etc.
- If mixture needs to thicken, take some out of saucepan and mix with cornstarch.
- For Vegan do not use milk [dairy].
what a waste of ingredients