Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the chili I remember eating as a child before microwaves were invented. This can be made in the microwave in about 30 min. but I prefer making it on the stove and then simmering it for an hour or so. The oregano is optional, I myself do not use it. Serve what you need then freeze the rest. For quick defrosting and heating, divide into single servings and package in shallow freezer boxes or heat seal-able bags.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed (optional)
- Crumble ground beef into a 2 1/2 quart casserole. Add onion and celery. Microwave, uncovered, on high 4-6 minute or until meat is almost cooked, stirring after half the cooking time to break up meat. Drain.
- Add undrained tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato soup, chili powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne, and oregano (optional). Microwave, covered, on high 5 minute Stir. Reduce power to medium. Mircowave, uncovered, 15-25 minute or until of desired consistency, stirring at least once. Makes about 2 quarts.