Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is one of the few main dishes I cook completely in the microwave. It's easy, delicious and simple to adapt to ingredients on hand. If I don't have spaghetti sauce, I substitute a can of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, along with some basil, oregano, and a bay leaf. You can also cut the chicken into strips or chunks, depending on your preference.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ounces of sliced black olives, drained
- 2 cups prepared spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Combine celery, peppers, onion, garlic and mushrooms with 1 T water and 1 T butter in a 2 quart microwave-safe dish.
- Cook uncovered on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring after every minute.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, olives, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise.
- Slide chicken into casserole dish with other ingredients, turning to coat with sauce.
- Arrange with meatiest portions out towards the outside of the dish.
- Cover and cook 10-12 minutes on high, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over hot pasta or rice.