Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
So easy and fast to make in the microwave, you won't believe it! Goes great on vegetables, baked potatoes, nacho chips, etc.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- In a large micro-wave safe glass bowl, heat butter for 50 seconds on high or until the butter is melted.
- Whisk together the butter, flour and milk.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds or so, until sauce is thick and heated through.
- Season with salt, if desired, and whisk until blended.
Thank you so much Sue L., for a super easy sauce. I'm not supposed to eat dairy due to IBS, and though I was tempted b/c I have the "Real McCoys" in our fridge, I passed up the real milk and cheese, and subbed Soysations brand shredded Cheddar, Jack, and Mozzarella blend, Silk unsweetened soy milk, and margarine. I cut the recipe down also, since it was just me eating this, but I have to say I'm impressed by the results - thick, creamy sauce. I didn't think this needed any salt at all, so I didn't add any. I did add a drop of Tabasco though. I used 1 1/2 tsp flour and margarine, about 1/4 cup of soy milk, (think I added in more like 1/3 cup of the cheese, so I had to add a little more milk after all was melted b/c this thickened up very nicely), and micro'd the marg for 20 secs and a total of 1 minute (2 30 sec intervals) to melt the cheese. After I added the extra milk at the end, I zapped another 20 secs to rewarm. I was really craving cheese sauce, this did so nicely. I can just imagine how much more wonderful real cheese and milk would have been! Lol. This was yummy on carrot sticks. This would also be great w/celery sticks or any cooked veggie, and prob great on pretzels, too
SO good!! Easy and fast to make
Just what I needed! Was looking for some quick comfort food and this was perfect in a pinch. Very versatile: quartered the recipe, used Romano instead of cheddar, then added some pepper and garlic powder with the cheese. Was fantastic over leftover brown rice and meatballs with some broccoli tossed in!