Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
So easy and fast to make in the microwave, you won't believe it! Goes great on vegetables, baked potatoes, nacho chips, etc.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- In a large micro-wave safe glass bowl, heat butter for 50 seconds on high or until the butter is melted.
- Whisk together the butter, flour and milk.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds or so, until sauce is thick and heated through.
- Season with salt, if desired, and whisk until blended.
Thank you so much Sue L., for a super easy sauce. I'm not supposed to eat dairy due to IBS, and though I was tempted b/c I have the "Real McCoys" in our fridge, I passed up the real milk and cheese, and subbed Soysations brand shredded Cheddar, Jack, and Mozzarella blend, Silk unsweetened soy milk, and margarine. I cut the recipe down also, since it was just me eating this, but I have to say I'm impressed by the results - thick, creamy sauce. I didn't think this needed any salt at all, so I didn't add any. I did add a drop of Tabasco though. I used 1 1/2 tsp flour and margarine, about 1/4 cup of soy milk, (think I added in more like 1/3 cup of the cheese, so I had to add a little more milk after all was melted b/c this thickened up very nicely), and micro'd the marg for 20 secs and a total of 1 minute (2 30 sec intervals) to melt the cheese. After I added the extra milk at the end, I zapped another 20 secs to rewarm. I was really craving cheese sauce, this did so nicely. I can just imagine how much more wonderful real cheese and milk would have been! Lol. This was yummy on carrot sticks. This would also be great w/celery sticks or any cooked veggie, and prob great on pretzels, too
Just as an added tip for those who didn't think it was the best. Add 4 pieces of sliced American cheese ( I used kraft) and chop up some jalapeños to add into it. It fixed the texture and made it taste SOOO much better!
SO good!! Easy and fast to make