1/1 Photo of Microwave Caramel Puffcorn
I am required to bring this to all family gatherings since I started making it. It is addicting!! This is the quick take on the regular Caramel Puffcorn recipe a - for when you don't have an hour to prepare it. This version takes only 10-15 minutes, depending on your microwave. Again, it is addicting! NOTE*** Be sure you get the caramel mixture to HARD CRACK stage, or it will not set with a crispy outer caramel layer. This is especially important in humid climates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Have a large paper bag handy, spread some wax paper on your table, grab your ingredients and here we go!
- 2Melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup in a 2 quart glass bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute. Stirl well and continue cooking the caramel to 310-320 degrees. This will take about 3 minutes (depending on your microwave) - stir every minute to blend the butter in evenly. The caramel must get to hard crack stage. I have a microwave thermometer that I use to test the temperature., but you can also test it by dripping a bit of the caramel into a cup of cold water.
- 3Add in the baking soda and stir - this will cause the caramel to expand and get "fluffy"! This may be what makes it addicting.
- 4Quickly spray your paper bag with cooking spray, dump your puffcorn into the bag followed by the caramel, and shake like mad! I use oven mitts during this stage to keep my hands from getting burned. Place the bag in the microwave for 1 minute. Shake well. Another minute in the microwave, shake well. A final minute and shake well! Feel free to dance while shaking the bag.
- 5Spread the puffcorn out over the waxed paper and let cool completely. When it is cool, break it apart if needed and it's ready to eat. Did I mention it's addicting? Don't say I didn't warn you!
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwave Caramel Puffcorn
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.6
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 254.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 0.8 g