Recipe by Wendelina
I am required to bring this to all family gatherings since I started making it. It is addicting!! This is the quick take on the regular Caramel Puffcorn recipe a - for when you don't have an hour to prepare it. This version takes only 10-15 minutes, depending on your microwave. Again, it is addicting! NOTE*** Be sure you get the caramel mixture to HARD CRACK stage, or it will not set with a crispy outer caramel layer. This is especially important in humid climates.
- 1 (8 ounce) bagpuff corn (found in chip aisle)
- 1 cup butter (do not substitute)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cooking spray (sort of optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Have a large paper bag handy, spread some wax paper on your table, grab your ingredients and here we go!
- Melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup in a 2 quart glass bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute. Stirl well and continue cooking the caramel to 310-320 degrees. This will take about 3 minutes (depending on your microwave) - stir every minute to blend the butter in evenly. The caramel must get to hard crack stage. I have a microwave thermometer that I use to test the temperature., but you can also test it by dripping a bit of the caramel into a cup of cold water.
- Add in the baking soda and stir - this will cause the caramel to expand and get "fluffy"! This may be what makes it addicting.
- Quickly spray your paper bag with cooking spray, dump your puffcorn into the bag followed by the caramel, and shake like mad! I use oven mitts during this stage to keep my hands from getting burned. Place the bag in the microwave for 1 minute. Shake well. Another minute in the microwave, shake well. A final minute and shake well! Feel free to dance while shaking the bag.
- Spread the puffcorn out over the waxed paper and let cool completely. When it is cool, break it apart if needed and it's ready to eat. Did I mention it's addicting? Don't say I didn't warn you!