Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I don't know where my mom got this recipe but I still enjoy making it from time to time. It's great for making with the kids and tastes yummy too!!
- 16 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large brown paper bag
- Put popcorn into a large paper bag.
- Mix: brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup, and salt in a 6 cup size microwaveable glass bowl. (I usually use my glass, 4 cup measuring cup).
- Put it in the microwave for 1-3 minutes until it bubbles.
- Take out and stir well.
- Microwave 3 more minutes, stirring mixture after EVERY MINUTE. Be careful it gets very hot at this point!
- Now add the baking soda and vanilla and stir well.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir well with a spoon.
- Roll the top of the bag and microwave for 1 minute. Remove the bag and shake the contents.
- Return bag to microwave for 1 more minute. Remove and shake again.
- Microwave 30 seconds more. Remove and shake.
- Let the popcorn cool on wax paper before eating.
great recipe I make at Christmas and give as gifts. I use 1/2 cups Karo and omit the salt. and add a 30 second shake.
We made this in honor of National Popcorn day yesterday - what a treat! The caramel is thin, almost more of a toffee like glaze, than caramel. Not too sticky which was nice. Since my microwave is 1200wt, I reduced the microwaving time by about a quarter (for ex. did 45 seconds, instead of 1 minute) - the popcorn turned out nice and crisp and all pieces seemed to be very well covered using this method.