Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a smaller amount, great snack for one hungry person! This recipe came from a local paper in the early 1980's.
- place popcorn in microwave safe 4-6 quart utensil. set aside.
- combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in 1 quart glass batter bowl.
- microwave on high 1 1/2 minutes; stir.
- microwave in high 2 minutes.
- add baking soda and vanilla. stir well.
- pour syrup immediately over popcorn; stir to coat evenly.
- microwave on high 1 minute; stir.
- microwave on high 1 minute; stir
- quickly turn out on waxed paper or sheet pan;cool.
- break up into pieces and store in airtight container.
This was a quick & easy recipe. My kids will really like it. I think maybe I'm too used to my old fashioned, slow-baked caramel corn. This tastes a lot like Crunch 'N Munch or Cracker Jacks even, with the hard candy coating and I prefer my caramel corn a little softer. I'm not sure what wattage microwave this was developed in, but I think the last 1 minute of cook time was too much in my machine, as it ended up burning a bit. I air-popped the popcorn and made everything else as stated. I really like that this makes just a one-time serving amount. I'm sure I'll make this again, but probably cut the timing down a bit or cook on a lower power. Thanks for posting, Iwanttobemartha! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0