Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 quarts popcorn, popped
- Mix sugar, butter, syrup, and salt in a bowl.
- Microwave till boiling, then
- microwave 2 minutes longer.
- Mix in baking soda.
- Pour mixture over popcorn that is placed in a brown paper bag and shake vigorously.
- Microwave 30 seconds, take out of microwave, and shake. Microwave 1 minute, take out, and shake. Microwave 1 more minute and shake. Pour out on a baking pan.
I'm writing another review b/c we made this again this year and found the carmel corn to be stale, soft and chewy after cooling. We found another recipe online that mentioned baking @ 200F for an hour, mixing every 15 minutes an then cooling on baking racks. The corn crisped right up and is perfect!
I have been making this recipe since the early 70's... my recipe called for the addition of tsp of vanilla to be added with the soda.... I have over the years, learned to spray the inside of my paper bags with cooking spray... I also do not lay out on a cookie sheet to dry/cool... I just cut the bag open,.... & spread out the corn to dry/cool then pack up in an air tight container
I was in the mood for some quick microwave popcorn, and this fit the bill perfectly! I made a couple of minor changes insofar as I didn't make it in the bag...I mixed the caramel sauce and the popcorn in a large stainless steel bowl, then divided it out and microwaved it in a glass (heatproof) bowl for two and a half minutes per batch, stirring 3 times during the cooking. Due to the size of the bowl, I had to divide it into approximately four batches. It took a little longer that way, but it still turned out fantastic. Thanks for the recipe! ;)