Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great recipe for caramel corn. It is quick and easy. The corn turns out soooo good! I always make it for gifts at Christmas. It is from the Joy of Microwaving Cookbook. (The peanuts are optional and I have never added them).
- Place butter or margarine in a 8 cup measure or large microwavable bowl.
- Microwave at high for 30-45 seconds, or until melted.
- Stir in brown sugar, peanuts(optional) and corn syrup.
- Insert candy thermometer.
- Microwave at high for 3-4 minutes, or until mixture reaches 280 degrees (soft crack stage). (Note- this is where the mixture can overcook - so watch carefully).
- Mix in vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Place prepared popcorn in large bowl.
- Pour hot mixture quickly over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Microwave at high for 2 minutes, stirring after half the time.
- Stir again. Cool for about 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally to break apart.
- I find it helpful, to spread caramel corn on a cookie sheet to cool. It cools much faster and is easier to break apart.
Oh this is way too good, too easy and too fast!!! Made as directed, omitting the peanuts, and it was absolutely perfect. Used microwave popcorn with great results, just be sure to remove all unpopped kernels. I LOVE that this recipe doesn't need baking time, but it tastes as good as the versions that take an hour in the oven. And I should know, I've been on a caramel corn kick lately. Used a regular glass bulb type candy thermometer, removed the metal clip first, and had no problems, in fact was impressed it was so easy to do. Thanks for sharing the recipe! This is a great find!