This is a great recipe for caramel corn. It is quick and easy. The corn turns out soooo good! I always make it for gifts at Christmas. It is from the Joy of Microwaving Cookbook. (The peanuts are optional and I have never added them).
- Place butter or margarine in a 8 cup measure or large microwavable bowl.
- Microwave at high for 30-45 seconds, or until melted.
- Stir in brown sugar, peanuts(optional) and corn syrup.
- Insert candy thermometer.
- Microwave at high for 3-4 minutes, or until mixture reaches 280 degrees (soft crack stage). (Note- this is where the mixture can overcook - so watch carefully).
- Mix in vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Place prepared popcorn in large bowl.
- Pour hot mixture quickly over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Microwave at high for 2 minutes, stirring after half the time.
- Stir again. Cool for about 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally to break apart.
- I find it helpful, to spread caramel corn on a cookie sheet to cool. It cools much faster and is easier to break apart.