Simple and easy way to make yummy home made caramel corn! From a Home Improvement & Remodeling Magazine - Sept/Oct 2006
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large, microwave-safe bowl, mix sugar, butter, syrup and salt together.
- 2Microwave on high until mixture is boiling, then continue to boil for 2 more minutes on high.
- 3Mix baking soda into mixture.
- 4In a large (clean) brown paper bag, pour mixture over popcorn and shake vigorously.
- 5Microwave in bag for another 30 seconds.
- 6Take out of microwave, and shake again.
- 7Repeat process at least two more times to ensure even coverage of caramel on popcorn.
- 8Immediately pour out on a baking pan to cool.
- 10For a lighter, more buttery taste, substitute white sugar for the brown.
- 11For extra crunchiness, mix 2 cups peanuts, almonds, or other nut of your choice with the popcorn prior to mixing the caramel.
- 12For chocolate lovers, microwave for 90 seconds, stirring once, 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 tsp shortening and drizzle over caramel corn.
- 13For extra spiciness, add 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, and 1/4 tsp ground cardamom to the caramel mixture.
- 14For easy transport (especially for Halloween treats): after removing from microwave for the last time, grease hands and form large handfuls of the carmael corn mixture into balls, then set aside to let cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwave Caramel Corn
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.4
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 324.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 29.4 g
- Protein 2.1 g