Recipe by Sophaholic
Simple and easy way to make yummy home made caramel corn! From a Home Improvement & Remodeling Magazine - Sept/Oct 2006
Top Review by mama smurf
This was great! My dad use to make caramel corn in the micro and I think this was very close if not like the recipe he used. Loved it. Definately going into my Favorites of 2014. This was such an easy dish to prepare. Thank you for posting the recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, mix sugar, butter, syrup and salt together.
- Microwave on high until mixture is boiling, then continue to boil for 2 more minutes on high.
- Mix baking soda into mixture.
- In a large (clean) brown paper bag, pour mixture over popcorn and shake vigorously.
- Microwave in bag for another 30 seconds.
- Take out of microwave, and shake again.
- Repeat process at least two more times to ensure even coverage of caramel on popcorn.
- Immediately pour out on a baking pan to cool.
- For a lighter, more buttery taste, substitute white sugar for the brown.
- For extra crunchiness, mix 2 cups peanuts, almonds, or other nut of your choice with the popcorn prior to mixing the caramel.
- For chocolate lovers, microwave for 90 seconds, stirring once, 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 tsp shortening and drizzle over caramel corn.
- For extra spiciness, add 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, and 1/4 tsp ground cardamom to the caramel mixture.
- For easy transport (especially for Halloween treats): after removing from microwave for the last time, grease hands and form large handfuls of the carmael corn mixture into balls, then set aside to let cool.